Going Green: Calhoun Family Farm
Just before dawn, “The Flower Gang” starts their day with coffee and a 10-minute meditation before they spend the morning weeding, watering, planting, pruning, and harvesting the sprawling rows of sunflowers, irises, snapdragons, dahlias, roses, sweet peas, creosote, and sage at Calhoun Flower Farm in La Mesa, New Mexico. Learn more about the farm and the four women who own it — sisters Susannah, Emily, and Lillian and mother Diane — on page 48 of the March/April 2020 issue of Neighbors Magazine, available HERE.
Free home entertainment
As Las Cruces and the rest of New Mexico remain under the “stay home, work safe” order and we adjust to the new norms of staying home and social distancing, many find themselves with too much time on their hands — here’s a few suggestions to pass it:
- Last week, we shared author Eric Carle’s reading of his classic children’s book The Very Hungry Caterpillar; this week, we’ve got six more famous authors reading their stories. Click HERE to hear Neil Gaiman reading The Graveyard Book and Coraline, Kate Messner reading Over and Under the Rainforest and Jason Reynolds reading Ghost, among others.
- BBC America has curated a free collection of nature documentaries at BBCAmerica.com and the BBC America app as part of its Nature NOW collection for the month of April. Selections include Life Story: First Steps, Seasonal Wonderlands: New England, Wild Singapore: Hidden World, Attenborough and the Giant Elephant and Chimp Sanctuary. Watch them HERE.
- The Grand Canyon, Mount Everest, Northern Ireland’s Giant’s Causeway, the Northern Lights — these natural wonders and more are open for tours, without ever leaving the house. The 10 Best Virtual Tours of the World’s Natural Wonders are available HERE.
- Storyline Online — storylineonline.net — and the Entertainment Industry Foundation have released their newest video, featuring the actress, producer, comedian, and singer Lily Tomlin reading Hey, That’s My Monster, written by Amanda Noll and illustrated by Howard McWilliam. Watch the video HERE and find other children’s stories, read by the likes of Kevin Costner, Allison Janney, Christian Slater, Ed O’Neill, and Mary Steenburgen, at Storyline Online.
- The engineers over at Dyson have put together challenges with kids in mind — dozens of engineering and science projects that are not only simple in scope but designed on cards perfect for printing and reuse. These fun, at-home activities are available HERE.
- Catch up on classics, learn a new language, or introduce family members to childhood favorites with more than 300 audiobooks now streaming for free from Audible Stories. With titles curated for the littlest listeners through teens, along with folktales and literary classics and titles in Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Italian, and Japanese, there’s something for everyone, for free, HERE.
Tired of cooking?
Even though their dining rooms are closed, a number of favorite Las Cruces restaurants are still serving via delivery — either in-house, or with apps like UberEats, Grubhub, OrangeCrate, and DoorDash — and carryout. In times like these, your support of local businesses and their employees is crucial. Below are some Las Cruces restaurants still cooking in these trying times:
Aqua Reef Euro-Asian Cuisine: GrubHub, DoorDash
Beck’s Roasting House & Creamery: 575-556-9850
Boba Cafe & Cabaret: UberEats, DoorDash, LoDel, OrangeCrate
Caliche’s Frozen Custard: LoDel. UberEats
Chachi’s Express: 575-522-7322
Chala’s Wood Fire Grill: 575-652-4143
Chilitos Restaurant: GrubHub, LoDel
Corner Deli: Las Cruces Delivery Solutions
D. H. Lescombes Winery & Bistro: UberEats
Day’s Hamburgers: GrubHub, LoDel, 575-523-8665
Dick’s Café: OrangeCrate, 575-524-1360
El Patrón Café and Catering: DoorDash, OrangeCrate, GrubHub, LoDel
El Sombrero Patio Café: Chow Now, DoorDash, GrubHub, LoDel
Hacienda de Mesilla: 575-652-4953
Jim Bob’s BBQ: 575-302-2685
La Posta De Mesilla: 575-524-3524
Lorenzo’s Italian Restaurant: 575-521-3505
Luna Rossa Winery and Pizzeria: OrangeCrate, DoorDash, UberEats
Mama B’s Restaurant: 575-680-0201
Matteo’s Mexican Food: LoDel, GrubHub
Miguel’s Restaurant: Las Cruces Delivery Solutions
Mix Pacific Rim: LoDel, Orange Crate, 575-532-2042
Pecan Grill & Brewery: 575-521-1099
Pastaggio’s Italian Cuisine & Pizza by Lorenzo: 575-522-5522
Picacho Coffee Roasters: Order online
Pizza Palazzo: 575-382-4554, OrangeCrate, LoDel
Roadrunner Pizza: 575-522-3600
Salud de Mesilla: 575-323-3548
Santorini Mediterranean Cuisine: 575-521-9270
Sunset Grill: 575-521-1826
Sushi Freak: OrangeCrate, DoorDash, 575-222-0496
Taqueria Las Catrinas: OrangeCrate, Doordash, GrubHub, LoDel
The Pit Stop 292 Café: UberEats
Urban Café: LoDel
Zeffiro’s Pizzeria Downtown: 575-652-4215
Zia Café: LoDel